Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Kale chips. Kids Love them!


Growing up I don't think I ever ate a piece of kale. I don't think even knew what it was. My kids won't eat it raw. They will however devour a whole bunch of kale in one sitting if it's baked right. They'll even ask for more. They are very simple to make and only need three ingredients. Always buy organic if you can. Non organic can have a pesticide residue even after rinsing and who needs that? I challenge you, even If kale is your worst enemy, to give these chips a try. You won't be sorry...at least I hope not:)

Ingredients
1 bunch of organic kale, rinsed and torn into large bite size pieces.
Extra virgin olive oil (a few glugs, enough to coat)
Garlic salt to taste (or whatever your favorite seasoning is)

Preparation
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Make sure kale is dry, pat with paper towel if necessary. Toss with olive oil, coat each piece thoroughly. Sprinkle seasoning and toss. Place kale on baking sheet without overlapping the pieces. Bake for 8-10 minutes until kale is crisp. This makes enough to fill two baking sheets so you can do two batches separate or two sheets at a time. If you use two sheets make sure to rotate each sheet between both racks halfway through cooking @4-5 minutes. These can burn very quickly if they go too long so if In doubt, check, check, check. I do. Keep in mind that these shrink a lot while cooking. My kids eat an entire bunch in about 15 minutes which makes me one happy mama:)

No comments:

Post a Comment